Monday, November 30, 2009

When Does Christmas Start?

Just a wondering question...When does Christmas start?
Should music start playing after Halloween or after Thanksgiving?
When do Christmas decorations go up, let alone the Christmas tree?
Should you have a real or fake tree?
When do the presents go under the tree?
What about Christmas cookies and other goodies, when should they be made and eaten?
Who opens presents first? All at once? Youngest to oldest? Oldest to youngest?


These are just a few questions that James and I have been discussing. James' family puts up Christmas (tree and all) the day after Thanksgiving. However, my family put Christmas up a little more slowly, one thing at a time really. In my family we put out our presents for everyone on Christmas Eve while James' family puts them under as soon as they are wrapped. Also, since James served his mission in the Philippines, he believes that Christmas should begin when the months end in "ber". I don't know what do you think?

4 comments:

Kenna said...

I think I am going to have to agree with James on Christmas. I think everything can go up the day after Thanksgiving, and let the music play and start the goodies that day too. But there is no right way or wrong way. Good luck deciding. Make your own traditions. Meet somewhere in the middle.

Nicole S. said...

I myself listen to music the day after Thanksgiving, put the tree up shortly after Thanksgiving (usually by Dec. 1st), we have a fake tree but when we have kids we will probably have a real one. And the presents go under the tree as soon as they are wrapped (usually Dec. 15th for most). My mom is the same way but we don't open presents until Christmas Eve or Day. But I agree with Kenna to make your own traditions.

TheTerry's said...

I think Christmas starts at different times for everyone. Me and Kyle have kind of molded our traditions together and created our own unique traditions as well as our own sense of timing. You could also do it differently each year if you wanted to rotate traditions. Either way, it is all so much fun! Enjoy the season!

Sarah and Alex said...

Well, I personally feel like Christmas can drag on if it starts too early. I like to enjoy each holiday, so for me Christmas doesn't start until the first week of December. We just got our Christmas tree up today, but I've been listening to Christmas music since December 1st. We already have some of our wrapped gifts under the tree, but Alex usually saves a few and hides them around the house to look for on Christmas morning.