Sunday, June 28, 2009

2 Years Ago...


Two years ago this June, I returned home from the BYU Study Abroad Program: London. I can't believe it's been that long. Sometimes it feels like it was yesterday and other times it feels like it was an eternity ago. However, I did learn a great many things while there that I still remember and share with you all.

1. All roads lead to the gift shops. No matter which tourist attraction you are participating in, you will end up at a gift shop. The road, literally, lead to them. But that's not all bad. Some times, it's the best place if the location is boring. There may be princess hats, viking masks, things to play with etc.

2. The pedestrian does NOT have the right of way. You learn this one really quick. The cars have the right of way unless it is a zebra crossing. I nearly got hit by a motorcycle and I think a car while there.

3. There will always be mashed peas left over. It's a given. Yes, by mashed peas, I mean like mashed potatoes, mashed peas. Our cook Tina, would cook them maybe once a month and they would stay in the refrigerator for an entire week without being touch. There will always be mashed peas left over.

4. If you want the good potato chips (crisps) for your lunch on the day trips, you must wake up earlier than everyone else. If you want the roasted chicken, mint & lamb, and I believe there were bacon chips, then go ahead wake up anytime you want to. They are the left overs. But if you want the plain, salt and vinegar, cheese etc. then you need to make sure that you are up and in line before everyone else is there.

5. Realize when Tina puts out the gummies on Sunday evening. They, like the crips, go quick. I learned that the gummies are placed out in a bowl at 7.00pm on Sunday evenings. I was in the dinning area one evening when she came and set them out. I was the only one in there for quite a while and I was the only one that knew when they were put out. Know when the gummies are put out.

6. There are a lot of castles and stately homes that you may attend. For us, it was mandatory. Not that I'm complaining, I appreciate everything I saw. But when you see about 2 or three castles and stately homes in a week, they tend to all look and feel alike. And by the time you're done, they all blurr together and you don't really care anymore. Once you seen one, you've seen them all. Except, Warwick Castle. Now that place was like Disneyland to us. You could touch things and climb all over the place. It was the best place ever. There was even a trebuchet! Trebuchet!

7. Last but not least. Some food that is a necessary to have while in London. (A) Fish and Chips. If you have it here in the States, it's not even close. It is the best stuff, even if you don't like fish that much, like myself. (B) Squash. No this isn't the vegetable, it's a juice concentrate that you mix with water that comes in like a 2 liter. It's the best. (C) Nutella & Peanut Butter on toast. Nothing says London like have toast in the evening with Nutella and PB. Yum. I love that stuff.

London was a great experience and I would not have done anything different. I loved it all, even riding the bike on the Isle of Wight, busting my ankle in a tube station, getting sick the last few days of the program, wandering around soaking wet in Ireland, being hit on by random Londoners. It was all a fantastic adventure.

3 comments:

Court said...

Sounds like Disney--all rides drop you off at a gift shop. I can't believe it was two years ago! Love the bike ride story...I remember reading it and crying till I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard! Good Times Good Times. Trebuchet!!!

Hebdon Family said...

Very nice! We found your guys' blog from Chase and Elaine's blog. Always good to add more friends to the list!

Kenna said...

What a freakin awesome experience. I am super jealous.