Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Swimming

Yesterday I went swimming. I have not been lap swimming for 2 1/2 years! I'm so outta shape. For those of you who do not have an intimate picture of my life, I swam competitively for 9 years usually any where from an hour to two. In the year 2002 I was swimming nearly everyday for 10 out of 12 months. It's been my life since I was nine. Not only was I a competitive swimmer but I was a distance swimmer. I could swim for hours and all lengths if you let me. I would train for the 500 (20 laps) no problem. Most of the time I never even completed the entire workout in the given amount of time because there was so much yardage. I love it! And didn't realize how much I missed swimming until I went on Monday.

However, Monday offered me a glimpse of reality. It's quite sad really. I had gotten in the pool and started swimming and after a while I was getting tired and my arms were hurting a bit. I thought, "Whoa, I must be swimming fast! I've been swimming for at least a half hour. I'm not in that bad of shape." I stop and look at the clock. I've only been in the maybe 10 minutes. TEN MINUTES!, and I'm already hurting and out of breath. How pathetic is this! Eight laps took me ten minutes. I used to be able to swim 8 laps in two and half minutes. Oh goodness.

I did swim for 45 minutes and that was hard. I thought I was going to die. I kicked on my back mostly so I could catch my breath and rest. Yikes!

Towards the end of my workout I did have to share the lane with an older Asian gentleman. We had caught up to each other and he said, in broken English, "You very good swimmer." I thought, are you for real?! Have you been watching me swim?! It was a nice compliment all the same.

I talked to James about all this and he brought me back to reality. I have to realize that I have a hugely different perspective on my swimming versus someone like James, no offense, who doesn't swim for exercise or sport. The fact that I even made it 45 minutes was great and I'll just have to keep going back to get better (which I can't wait to do!)

6 comments:

Kenna said...

I think it is awesome, cause I for sure couldn't even make it 10 minutes.
It is crazy how fast you lose something that you did every day, i'm sure you will get it back in no time.
Good luck and have fun. My goal now is try to swim laps for 10 minutes.

Court said...

I know how you feel sister friend. I feel the same way when Mom and I swim laps, two laps and I have to catch my breath. James is right, the more you do it the better you get! Where are you swimming?

P.S. Was the Asian guy the bobber from the pool?

melissa said...

45 minutes of swimming??? i would rather run a marathon without an ounce of training.

swimming is the hardest thing i could ever do with my life, and i can't fathom swimming 8 laps in 10 minutes. promise...your incredible still, your bar is just set so high that someones fantastic swim is just your leizure dip.

Nicole S. said...

That is amazing! Before you know it, you will be that faster swimmer that you once knew.

I love the picture too!

Elaine said...

That's so funny. I feel the same way about running!!! I definitely didn't run for nine years but did track throughout HS and a little in BYU-Idaho. I feel like a grandma when I run now. It's sad, huh?? I wish we could get our fit HS bodies back! ;)

TheTerry's said...

swimming like that, you should be back up to your regular speed in no time. just take your time, no pressure. by the way, you and james should come down so we can celebrate St.Patrick next week...maybe some corned beef! we'll call you.