Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Time is Here...


Well, I'm finally getting all these pictures of Christmas up on on blog. Let's start at the beginning. Our Christmas tree. It's interesting because it's our first Christmas and you don't think that you need anything for Christmas except for a Christmas tree. Since it is our first Christmas together, we realized that we had no Christmas decorations, no Christmas lights, no Christmas tree stand or skirt and nothing to go on top of the Christmas tree. Needless to say, we had to run a few errands prior to buying our Christmas tree.

After buying all the necessary items we went to Smith's Marketplace and bought our tree. We went through the big and the small and found the perfect one for us. And as my mom says, "Every tree is beautiful once it is decorated." We tied the tree to the top of the car and headed home. We had to cut off some of the bottom branches to fit in the stand...without a saw. So we grabbed a knife that is one of those all-purpose, cuts through aluminum can type of knife. It worked. We were able to fit it in the stand and began decorating. We got the lights and ornaments on. It was so much fun to decorate our first tree together!


We also have James' Nativity scene from the Philippines. It's a little different than the tradition Nativity scene. The 3 Wise Men, instead of bringing gold, frankincense and myrrh, they are are bringing rice, mangoes and bananas. The Shepard is a goat herder and there is also a boy with a water buffalo. It is very cool to have this Nativity from another country and see how the Nativity is viewed in a different way.

1 comment:

Court said...

Yeah, I remember thinking all you needed was a Christmas tree. Last year ours was too big and we didn't have enough lights or ornaments so it looked empty. We also didn't have a tree topper last year because I couldn't find one I liked. This year I think we did it right. Smaller tree, found a topper I liked...everything was just right.

I love the Nativity you guys have. I like that the Wise Men are bringing mangos, bannans, and the thrid thing I can't remember.

Okay, can't wait to see ya on Tuesday! I'm trying to talk Mom into going to Banchero's (sp?) for Dad's birthday. James and Chuck have never been there and it's sort of "Tradition" (said in the Ever After voice).

Okay, gotta go, Love ya!