Saturday, September 11, 2010

48:49.2

A few months ago someone recommended that I participate in a triathlon because I wanted to get in shape but also have a goal. She suggested that I do the Murray City Triathlon. It consisted of 150 yards swim, 4.5 miles on the bike and a mile run. The race would take place on Labor Day, Monday 6 September. It was an individual, family and youth race. It couldn't be that hard.

So let's start two days before the race, Saturday. We were headed home from Springville and decided to check out the course. The race took place at Murray City Park. It turns out that the biking part of the race included 3 uphills and you do 2 laps which really means going up 6 hills. I was not expecting hills. I had been doing laps around Liberty Park, no hills. Oh well.

Sunday, I woke up sick. Sore throat, stuffy nose and exhausted. Perfect timing of course! So I went to Sacrament Meeting and came home and slept the rest of the day.

Monday rolled around and it was c-o-l-d! I didn't want to get out of bed. The race started at 8.00 and so James and I got up and were out of the house by 6.45.



(These are pictures of the frost on the grass and the steam from the pool on the day of the race just to give you an idea of how cold it was!)

We got to the park around 7.00, registered and got my number. I was number 213, it was written on my leg, arm and both hands, in case I forgot.


At 8.00 it was time to get started with the race. Swimming was first. I had a few people in front of me and it wasn't too crowded in the pool because they let you each go 5 seconds apart. It felt so good to be back in the pool and racing. I could have done that all day. Then it was out of the pool, running barefoot to the transition area; threw on a t-shirt, shorts, shoes and helmet and off I went. It was cold still and being wet did not help!


Off on the bike I went. I felt pretty good. My legs felt a little jello-y. But the bike was the hardest part. Again, it was those darn hills! I got passed but I tried not to care...but it was hard not too. The second lap was a bit easier but it was tough. There was one thing that did motivate me though. All kids under 15 started after all the adults at around 8.30. While on my second lap a kid, probably 10 years old, passes me on my last lap on the bike. (Kids only have to do 1 lap). I though oh hecky no! So I pedaled a little harder up the hill and down into the transition area.

(That's me starting my dreaded second lap!)

I took a drink of water, took off my helmet and I started running. 1 mile to go and I was done. I had practiced a few transitions before the race, so I knew what to expect. Running wasn't bad at all. I did pretty well and was able to finish strong too. I felt like I had my legs under me about half way through so the last half was pretty good.





I ran into that finish line and it felt so good. I have completed a triathlon! I can officially call myself a triathlete. It's crazy to think that. I finished in 0:48:49.2. Under an hour and without stopping! Those were my two goals and I accomplished it.


Everyone got a medal and a t-shirt. I felt special.

It was fun too because James was able to take pictures and be at certain spots on the course and cheer me on. It was fun to have him there to cheer me on. My splits were good too...better than I was expecting:

Swim: 2:13.3
Swim-Bike: 2:47.7
Bike: 28:19.1
Bike-Run: 1:00.2
Run: 14:28.9


Overall I came in 7th in my age group and 23rd in the women division I'm planning on doing it next year and maybe even doing some other events too. It was a great time and I had fun doing it!

7 comments:

Kenna said...

Wahoo Caitlin!!!! That is freakin awesome! Congrats! I was actually thinking about you Tuesday the day after your race and I was planning on seeing how you did but I never did so i'm so glad you posted about it.
Can I just tell you that I am amazed and in awe that you did a triathlon.
Those pictures of the morning look freezing, and the pic of your leg with the number on, you can see your cute little goose bumps, brrr.
Great job and great times!

Elaine said...

That's awesome. You're my hero!

Court said...

Great job! How many were there in your division and overall women? 7th and 23rd is great! If I had a bike, I'd come out next year and do it with you...but I don't. I'm glad to see the victory van didn't have to pick you up! Excited to see you in a week and a half.

TheTerry's said...

Awesome possum Caitlin! Sounds like you did fabulous! So glad to hear it. Such a great accomplishment...
I started running with my sister Kim to help her get in shape (uh, and me too.) We're gonna do the Santa Run on December 4th in Provo. It'll be Kim's first 5K, my 4th. Can't wait. You should come! See you in a couple weeks with your parents and Court and Chuck. Looking forward to it!

Nicole S. said...

So awesome!!! You make me want to try one now, I would just struggle with the swimming part! Congrats!!!

melissa said...

absolutely incredible caitlyn!! the pictures were fantastic, and i was on the edge of my seat the entire time i was reading. you have inspired me. promise. awesome awesome job!

p.s. you have one of the littlest waists i've ever seen.

Laura Beardall said...

Caitlin, that is so dang awesome!!! What an accomplishment!! Really, that is amazing. It kinda makes me want to do one, but I suck at swimming. Anyway, you're amazing! Way to go!