Thursday, June 10, 2010

Highlights

Today I officially finished my first year of teaching. Since mid-August I have been working at City Academy Charter School teaching social studies. It has been a long road. There has definitely been many ups and downs. Here are some of the highlights:

(1) An 8th grader asking me how we knew the world was round.
(2) Was Africa a country or a continent?
(3) Discussing Uncle Tom's Cabin during 8th period on a Friday with 8th graders and it was highly successful.
(4) Covering modern US History and teaching the current conflict in Iraq.
(5) Telling my 8th graders how dorky I am when it comes to the Civil War, even when I was their age, I was that dorky.
(6) Having a student mistake me for a student, twice.
(7) Making Prom and other dances/activities successful for the school.
(8) Being asked to teach IGCSE History next year (it's equivalent to a pre-AP,even AP course)
(9) Having students progress from writing me a paragraph for an essay and now they are using historical evidence and writing multiple paragraphs for an essay!
(10) I broke up a fight.

And the best part about it is I get to do it all over again. But next year: I'll be way more prepared and I get to teach the blood, gore and scandal of world history! Nerdiness here I come!!

2 comments:

Kenna said...

Wahoo! Congrats on your first year teaching, i'm sure you were the coolest teacher ever.
I love how excited you are/get about your students!
Also good luck next year.

Court said...

Don't forget getting hit on at prom by 18 year olds.

My favorite is busting the kids with weed and telling the one to "Zip it up" as he was peeing in the bushes! Classic.