Lamartine, a French writer, stated the following: History teaches everything including the future.
Originally I wanted to teach biology. I loved genetics and it was easy for me. One day my mom and I were watching "American Experience" on PBS (yes I am a nerd) and it was about Reconstruction after the Civil War. My mom and I talked about the program and she then suggested that maybe history is the direction I should go in instead of biology. The real kicker for me was that biology also included math.
I became a history teaching major at BYU and that's what I do now. I teach history. I currently teach US History I (beginning of time till 1877), Utah Studies, and US History II (1877-now). I also teach geography which isn't my favorite but it's enjoyable.
For me, it's just fascinating how human interaction causes a chain of events that develop, navigate through circumstances and then impact, large or small, people's lives.
In my US History II class we're discussing Vietnam and it's just so interesting to hear student perspective on issues that they have no real connection with. They didn't live through it, they've only heard about it. There are so many perspectives and opinions that there is no "right" or "wrong" answer if one can articulate one's opinion. It's more of a sharing of ideas rather than dates and people. Dates and people are needed in order to support your perspective and ideas, no doubt. But history is more analytical than that. You must put everything in context and dig deep in the meanings of words, ideology, international relations etc. What could be better!?
My favorite part of teaching is when the students take control of the discussions. Uh! You pose a question like, "Can the colonists and the British ever be reconciled after the Intolerable Acts?" and they run with it. They respect each other, listen to each other, disagree on thoughts, supports others and all you have to do is sit back and watch like it's some sort of symphony that builds and are these pockets of quiet moments then you have the climax at the end where everyone is either in agreement or in agreement to disagree.
Now that's not to say that it happens every single day. Oh hecky no! But there are those glimpses of potential and moments of where you wish you could film it and show others.
History lends itself to discussion and analytical work which creates opportunities for students to express themselves articulately and appropriately.
Where would I be without teaching history? Probably talking about the human genome I guess which isn't nearly as fulfilling as teaching history.
1 comment:
I loved this post. It's always fun to learn new things about you.
Post a Comment